Sunday, November 1, 2009

[34/52] Through the Pages of History

I went to visit the Library of Archives the other day. As part of a research I was doing, I needed to find an article about the subject I was researching on, which dated back to the year 1939. I was advised by friends to visit this place (I didn't know they had a Library for Archives here in Cairo!) and I was pretty impressed!
Everything was so organized. I was surprised though, that you were allowed to browse through the original copies. The paper is yellow with age, and very fragile and delicate. I was fascinated with the idea that I'm touching a piece of paper that someone back in the year 1939 also touched. Although its not a big deal, 1939 is only 60 years ago, not even a century.
But still, reading all those headlines, the photographs, the classified ads, it was fascinating! There was an ad for a young nurse who spoke fluent French, English and German, seeking employment. Another ad for a governess seeking employment. I couldn't help but wonder what happened to those two. Are they still alive? Maybe they are more than 80 years old now, living in a retirement home.

I was taking photos when one of the guards came and asked me not to photograph, apparently it wasn't allowed. I was lucky to have taken a few photos before he came!

No comments: